Saturday 17 December 2011

27 Useful Introductory Trinidadian French Creole Phrases

Here's a list of 27 useful phrases in Trinidadian French Creole
  1. Bonjou! - Hello
  2. Bon apwémidi! - Good afternoon!
  3. Bonswè! - Good evening!
  4. Ovwa / Ayo! - Goodbye!
  5. Pli ta! - See you later!
  6. Kouman ou yé? - How are you?
  7. Mwen byen mèsi, é ou menm? - I am fine thank you, and yourself?
  8. Sa ki non-ou? - What is your name?
  9. Non-mwen sé... Pita - My name is... Peter
  10. Mwen kontan kontwé'w - I'm pleased to meet you
  11. Éskizé mwen, Misyé/Man - Excuse me, Sir/Ma'am
  12. És ou sa édé mwen? - Can you help me?
  13. Souplé / Tanpwi - Please
  14. Mèsi anpil/anchay - Thank you very much
  15. Ki koté lopital-la yé? Where is the hospital?
  16. Pasé an bèl jou! - Have a nice day!
  17. I am missing you - Mwen ka mantjé ou
  18. I don't understand - Mwen pa konpwann
  19. I understand - Mwen ka konpwann
  20. I don't know - Mwen pa konnèt / Mwen pa sav
  21. Please, repeat that again - Souplé wépété sa ankò
  22. Ou ka palé Patwa? - Do you speak Patois/French Creole?
  23. Ou ka palé Fwansé? - Do you speak French?
  24. Ou ka palé Anglé byen? - Do you speak English well?
  25. Mwen pa ka palé Patwa - I don't speak Patois/French Creole.
  26. Ki koté ou sòti? - Where are you from?
  27. Mwen sòti Trinidad - I'm from Trinidad
Se tout mézanmi! Mèsi é pasé an bèl jou!
That's all friends! Thank you and have a nice day!

21 comments:

  1. I understood so much....mwen pale kreyòl lwizyan e kreyòl ayisyen....it so amazing to see all the similarities...yet see regional distinctions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to read that you can understand Trinidad French Creole, I can understand Louisiana Creole in its written form without a problem.

      Delete
  2. From the seychelles islands in the indian ocean.
    I understood everything, mon pale kreol seselwa ek morisyen e mem kreyol antillas, please don't let it dying out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what is the gift in Trinidadian French Creole?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To say The gift in Trinidadian French Creole we say:

      kado-a (ca-doh ah)

      Delete
  4. So wish I could speak Patois. My grandparents spoke it down the islands but it didn't filter down through the subsequent generations. So happy UWI will be offering classes from January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like to learn, keep following the blog, it's always being updated, comment on the posts because we would like to hear from you.

      Delete
  5. I'm Trinidadian myself, but I was born in America. both of my grandparents, on my mother's side, are actually from de island. I'm currently learning how to speak this language. I think it's hard learning this due to the fact that this is a very rare language. so rare that even some Trinidadians don't even know the this language exist. but as far as learning different words, this is easy to learn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The language was far more commonly spoken in the early part of the 20th century, Creole (also known as Patois) began to decline in a visible way from the 1940's onward, but there are people working hard to preserve the language for future generations of Trinidadians.

      Delete
  6. I want to learn more I'm from Trinidad an was .moved to America at a young age I don't remember much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shameiha, I'm so happy to read that you would like to learn more about this beautiful language. If you are on Facebook, I would recommend that you join the Facebook group Annou Palé Patwa. I'll leave a link here for you to follow. Hope to see you there :D

      https://www.facebook.com/groups/annoupalekweyol/?ref=bookmarks

      Delete
  7. I've always loved patois, recently watched a short news video about the paramin mass at our lady of guadeloupe. It sparked a desire to learn, I'll be going in and out this blog to learn as much as possible. Mesi anpil !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to hear that you would like to learn how to speak Trinidadian Patois. I will be uploading video content to the blog very soon. If you would like to join a community of Patois speakers online, please join the Facebook page: Annou Palé Kwéyòl.

      https://www.facebook.com/Annou-Pal%C3%A9-Patwa-Annou-Pal%C3%A9-Kw%C3%A9y%C3%B2l-213277625363412/

      Delete
  8. As a child we used the frases "Oui foute" and "Tonais". "Oui foute" was used in much the same way as Spanish uses "Vaya". "Tonais" would be an exclamation of achievement if I recall correctly.

    Can you put a meaning to these?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Im 19.. My grandmother spoke different phrases to me.. But unfortunately she was already in her early stages of alzheimers ..so didnt gt much.. I know about 4..5 phrases

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is there an easier way to learn patois

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am trying to find the meaning of - Bravea Dangea - (My spelling may be incorrect. Please help.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this is fascinating reading. I am glad I found this and got to read it. Great job on this content. I liked it a lot. Thanks for the great and unique info. French short stories for beginners

    ReplyDelete