Friday 27 January 2012

Using the reflexive pronouns, how would I say, "I do not want to do it by myself." Would it be, "Mwen pa vle fe i mwen menm." or "Mwen pa vle fe i ko-mwen." Or should I add ba ko-mwen in the sentence.

You would use ''mwen-menm since in that sentence emphasis is placed on self (emphatic statement) so you would say

mwen pa vlé fè y mwen-menm - I don't want to do it myself


If you wanted to say that you don't want to do something alone, you would say.

mwen pa vlé fè sa mwen yon.

or

mwen pa vlé fè sa tousèl.


In the above sentences, the words yon and tousèl allow the speaker to express the fact that the action is done without the help of anyone else

yon means one
tousèl means alone


If you want to express that you are doing something to yourself you prefix (kò) to the pronoun. Kò means body so it represents self)

Example

1. mwen ka lavé kò-mwen - I am washing myself


2. ou ka lavé kò-ou - You are washing yourself.


3. li ka lavé kò-y - He is washing himself.


If you want to express that you are doing something for yourself or of your own will then you suffix (menm) to the pronoun. Menm means same so it represents self when self is stressed.

Example

1.Sé mwen-menm ki jiwé dòktè-a! - I myself cussed the doctor!


2. Ou pé pa wè sa ou-menm? - You can't see that yourself?


3. Non, li ké fè twavay-la li-menm! - No,he will do the work himself!

No comments:

Post a Comment