Wednesday 28 December 2011

Lesson 8 - Subject Pronouns

There are six pronouns: one pronoun for each person/number combination. There is no difference between direct and indirect pronouns. Subject pronouns function as the subject of the sentence. Simply put, the subject pronoun tell us who or what is being spoken of in any sentence. The six Subject Pronouns are as follows:


Click the link below to hear all of the subject pronouns

Creole Personal Pronouns
  1. MWEN (mweh) - I, me, my
  2. OU (oo) - you, your (singular)
  3. LI or I (lee/ee) - he, she, it [li becomes i after a vowel]
  4. NOU (noo) - we, us, our
  5. ZÒT (zoht) - you, your (plural)
  6. YO (yo) - they, them, their
E.g.


MWEN - I, ME, MY

  • Mwen tini yon madanm. - I have a wife.
  • Ou ka palé ban mwen? - Are you speaking to me?
  • Kawolin sé matant-mwen. - Caroline is my aunt.

OU - YOU, YOUR (singular)

  • Kisa ou vlé manjé? - What do you want to eat?
  • Kwiyé fwè-ou ban nou. - Call your brother for us.

LI - HE, SHE, IT

  • Li ka alé Fòdfwans. - He is going to Fort-de-France.
  • Monik, li kontan dansé. - Monique, she likes to dance.
  • Kité zwézo-a; i ké déviwé. - Leave the bird alone; it will come back.

NOU - WE, US, OUR

  • Nou ké touvé chyen-an. - We will find the dog.
  • Vini épi nou souplé. - Come with us please.
  • Twinidad épi Tobago sé péyi-nou. - Trinidad & Tobago is our country.

ZÒT - YOU, YOUR (plural)

  • Mwen kontan wè zòt - I am happy to see you all.
  • Zòt sé fanmi - Jan sé papa-zòt? - You all are family - is Jean your father?

YO - THEY, THEM, THEIR

  • Yo ké wivé pli ta. - They will arrive later.
  • Ba yo lajan-an. - Give them the money.
  • Maman-yo sé yon dòktè. - Their mother is a doctor.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Let's practise. Please translate the following:

1. She's very pretty.

2. I don't want fish.

3. They are fighting.

4. It is dead.

5. We are walking.

6. You're not ugly.

You'll find the answers directly below:

1. Li joli joli. 2. Mwen pa vlé pwéson. 3. Yo ka goumen. 4. I mò. 5. Nou ka maché. 6. Ou pa lèd.

1 comment:

  1. Hey y'all I need help here? I see the exercise to translate here but where do I find the vocabulary to translate the word? like where on this site do I find out that mò = death and pwéson = fish?

    ReplyDelete